- The Fantastic Team
- 3min read
- Published: March 18, 2020
- Views: 42
What Temperature is Used to Disinfect Equipment and Utensils
With the current state of the world, now it’s more important than ever to clean and disinfect your home, or at least the objects you touch most frequently. However, you’ve probably already guessed that if you want to keep you and your family safe from the spread of harmful germs, there need to be some extra precautions.
So, in this article, the Fantastic Services team has prepared some useful information you can incorporate in your daily cleaning schedule.
This article is for all of you who:
- Wish to disinfect their home;
- Wonder what temperature is used to disinfect equipment and utensils in order to minimise the spread of germs and disease.
What is disinfection?
First, how does disinfection differ from all other cleaning methods? Well, disinfection refers to the cleaning process that aims to specifically inactivate living bacteria and viruses. As you know, there is no spot on the planet (safe from controlled lab environments) that is not covered by any type of microorganism. Disinfection is a chemical treatment of a non-living surface for the purpose of temporarily removing harmful pathogens.
Disinfection does not remove every single microorganism on the treated surface. The complete destruction and prolonged absence of any microbial life on the surface is called sterilisation. And, it’s generally not recommended to do it at home unless advised by a medical professional. So, disinfection is enough to create a healthy home environment.
Types of disinfection
There are a few simple methods of disinfecting your home with things you have at hand. Here are the most common ways.
- With hot water. One of the easiest things you can use is hot water. It is known to kill most harmful pathogens. If you own a household steam cleaner, you’ll be able to disinfect not just your tools, but most large surfaces as well.
- With chemicals. There is a vast array of chemicals able to disinfect a surface. The most widely used ones are hydrogen peroxide and chlorine.
- With alcohol. Ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are able to kill a wide array of harmful bacteria from any surface. The most effective disinfectants have over 70% alcohol content. The higher, the better.
What temperature is used to disinfect equipment and utensils
If you’ve decided to use hot water to disinfect a surface, know that the appropriate temperature of disinfection is between 80 and 90 degrees Celsius. Your household steam cleaner can easily reach this temperature and so does your washing machine (if you need to disinfect laundry). For hot water disinfection of cutlery and utensils, it’s recommended to wash them in the dishwasher, instead of by hand. The hot water in the dishwasher in combination with the strong cleaning detergent is able to destroy most pathogens.
For more information, check out thehome disinfection guidelines by the Center of Disease Control!
Need antiviral sanitisation for your home?
People have always battled harmful microorganisms, and in this day and age, we have useful knowledge and effective weapons. The Fantastic Services team is ready to aid you with our antiviral sanitisation service. We use non-toxic equipment that is safe for children and pets, and will leave your home spotless with a pleasant floral smell.
We've even made an antiviral service for you!
See how we can help you.
- Disinfection is a cleaning method of killing harmful pathogens on high traffic surfaces;
- You can disinfect your home with hot water, alcohol of 70% and up, and other household chemicals;
- Disinfection with hot water is most effective between 80 and 90 degrees Celsius;
- Keeping your home’s high-traffic surfaces disinfected is an effective way to create a healthy environment during the general flu outbreak.
Remember to wash your hands! Stay safe and alert. And tell us in the comments how you disinfect your home!
Image source: Shutterstock / bbtomas
- Last update: September 29, 2020
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within Australia. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.