- The Fantastic Team
- 7min read
- Published: October 29, 2019
- Views: 38
How to Keep Artificial Grass Clean
Having artificial grass definitely comes with a lot of perks, with low maintenance, making the top of the list. Enjoying a lush green grass all year round is a dream come true but taking good care of your synthetic turf is still necessary and more often than you think. As durable as fake grass is, staining, high foot traffic and negligence could cause serious damage, so much that repairs or a new installation may be required.
Best ways to clean artificial grass
Synthetic grass could last for more than 10 years, given favourable conditions and you are the one to provide them. Regular maintenance is the key that will secure your artificial grass carpet’s best look at all times and save you the heavy workload in the long run. All you need is commitment and a little bit of free time.
Here are the important maintenance tips to follow for having the best-looking artificial lawn in the neighbourhood:
Commit to a regular cleaning schedule
Weekly grooming sessions for your artificial grass will make a big difference to both you and your lawn. You will have less to worry about and keep up the grass’ good appearance with minimum efforts. A basic brushing with a rake will eliminate the debris and a hose washing will be enough to give your artificial grass that constant fresh look.
Provide extra lawn care whenever needed
Living in a dust-rich area will inevitably leave its mark on your synthetic grass. The good news is that signs of dust accumulation aren’t hard to miss, all you have to do is pay more attention to your artificial lawn and eliminate the dust build-up frequently.
Change in weather conditions also plays a role. Rain, during wet seasons, can be considered beneficial, as your synthetic lawn will need less special care than usual. The rain will wash away all dust, dirt and even dirty spots, making the fake grass blades clean again. That’s not the case in the summer, though, because this is when taking care of your artificial grass will be most challenging. Spending more time outdoors, daily kids games and throwing garden parties are all fun activities, but they usually lead to high lawn traffic and frequent staining.
So, make sure to double your efforts of brushing the artificial grass and deal with any stains right away. Not sure how to do that? We have just the right tips for you!
How to clean stains off fake grass
Stains can be stubborn and if they remain undetected, removing them later will be much harder. In this case, trying to just wash them may not be enough. If your lawn has suffered stain damage from pet accidents or after your latest outdoor gathering, don’t waste time, but try to deep clean your artificial grass right away.
Eliminating pet urine from artificial grass
Thanks to being low-maintenance and pet-friendly, fake grass seems suitable to install outdoors, but also indoors, usually on the balcony or directly in one of the rooms. While your furry companion may appreciate the fun green addition, it is only natural to consider the artificial turf a perfect place to relieve itself. As we all know, pets usually mark the same spot over and over again, drawn by the smell.
To free your artificial grass from dog or cat urine odours, there are a few things you need to do.
- Regularly wash the fake grass area where your pet likes to go. If necessary, provide daily cleaning to prevent further complications.
- Check occasionally to see if you can smell pet pee and if you sense any funny “aroma”, spray the area with enzymatic cleaner or try cleaning the artificial grass with a mixture of white vinegar and water.
- To deal with old urine stains, remove the odour by deodorising the area with a specialised artificial turf product.
Cleaning bird waste off artificial grass
That’s another tough one. If bird droppings are not considered a problem on a natural lawn, as the waste decomposes faster, this is not the case with the synthetic kind. That is why you need to take additional measures to clean the bird poop off your artificial grass.
Start with inspecting the surrounding areas. If the birds are drawn to a particular zone of the lawn, perhaps trees are the reason. Consider cutting down branches that are convenient gathering points for the birds. Denying them access to the lawn completely may not be possible since it’s an open area, but you should still disinfect the fake grass by:
- Scooping off any solid waste, first.
- Using a bird-droppings removing agent, enzyme cleaner or a homemade artificial grass cleaner if you mix warm water, white vinegar and soap. Either spray the cleaner on the artificial grass or apply it on a sponge and gently run it over the dirty grass blades for detailed disinfection.
- Repeating the process, if needed, for deeper cleaning.
- Rinsing with water to remove the cleaner’s residue.
Making stubborn food and paint stains disappear
Food stains are quite common but they can be removed completely without a lot of effort. Meaning you won’t need aggressive cleaners like bleach, for instance. Those are not only harmful to the environment but can also damage the colouring of your fake grass.
So, either stick to warm water in combination with a mild detergent or fill up a bottle with 1:1 white vinegar and water. Vinegar may be smelly, but it breaks down greasy stains immediately and you can always rinse with water to make the odour disappear faster.
For cleaning paint off artificial grass, you can try lacquer remover or directly a paint cleaner. Don’t start cleaning, though, without using eye and skin protection, as these products are toxic and dangerous.
Although artificial grass is quite resistant to substances, it is still best to test the product on a small area in one of the corners before applying it on the paint stain. See how it reacts with the grass, specifically if there is a change in colour. Eco-friendly paint removers, free from toxic components, are also available if you prefer a safer approach.
Getting rid of weeds in fake grass
You may think that having synthetic grass frees you from a weed invasion, but that is not exactly the case. The lawn’s proximity to trees and bushes, in combination with leaves piling up, is enough to bring the seeds in. The upside of it, though, is that weeds are likely to grow only in the corners of the artificial carpet. To keep the fake grass clean, just remember to:
- Clean up the edges of your lawn regularly from branches and tree leaves.
- Inspect the areas and pluck weeds out before they have a chance to grow.
- Eradicate weeds with hot boiling water, which you can directly pour on, as well as mix with salt to add power to the solution.
Removing mould from artificial turf
Artificial grass is not a favourable place for bacteria to thrive, so the chances of seeing mould on your turf are not big. Nevertheless, fallen leaves usually retain water and moisture, which can remain trapped on the grass underneath, especially with no direct sunlight available. This way, mould can form and spread to the artificial grass.
The best protection is to make sure that you clean the leaves from your artificial lawn in time. Whether you use a rake, another type of brush or a leaf blower to get them off is up to you, but the important thing is to make this task a priority, especially during autumn.
In case the mould has already affected your artificial grass, then you can remove it safely with the help of water and essential oil, preferably tea tree or clove. Spray the mixture on and use a sponge to wipe the grass blades. The oil could leave some greasy residue and if that bothers you, you can wash it away with vinegar or just warm soapy water.
- To avoid dealing with grease and food stains on your fake turf, set up your garden feast on the deck or patio. Also, fire is the biggest threat to artificial grass, so be extra careful if you use your barbecue or smoke near the lawn.
- Despite being synthetic, your green carpet will thrive when regular cleaning and maintenance are provided, especially if you have pets.
- Take protective measures when doing outdoor renovations or building work in the backyard. Covering the fake grass with plastic or paper material on time means that you will not have to struggle with paint or plaster stains later on.
- Last update: November 1, 2019
Posted in Gardening Tips
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within Australia. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.