- The Fantastic Team
- 3min read
- Published: June 27, 2022
- Views: 74
Rat Mites – Worse Than Bed Bugs?
Rat mites. Even the word combination can invoke nightmares.
Tiny, disgusting, and literally living on the back on nasty rodents, these creatures are something that you don’t want to see in your property. With that being said, what exactly are rat mites? How does one get them in their home? Are they more dangerous than bed bugs?
Continue reading to:
- learn more about rat mites in Australia;
- find out how dangerous exactly are they;
- discover how to rid your property of them.
Table of contents:
What are rat mites, and why you should be scared
As you can figure out by the name of the insect, rat mites are little spider-like bugs (only 0.75 to 1.44 mm) that can be found living on the backs of rats. Even dead rats. Disgusting, we know.
But it gets even worse.
Rat mites can also choose another type of host to munch on – people. They like to feast on blood, which, needless to say, doesn’t end well for the host, as their bites can lead to dermatitis and other types of skin issues. At this point, you are probably wondering can rat mites live on humans, and the answer is no, they can’t,
Still – why are they worse than bed bugs?
Because a rat mite infestation means that you probably have another type of pest issue in your property – a rat one.
Signs of rat mites
Now that we’ve covered what exactly are these creatures, it’s time to talk about rat mites symptoms:
- You have small, itchy bumps on your skin;
- You’ve developed a nasty rash out of nowhere;
- You have a pet rat that has started scratching itself;
- You’ve spotted physical bugs in the fur of your pet rat;
Rat mites vs bed bugs – is it a rat mite infestation or something else?
As rat mites and bed bugs share quite a few characteristics – they are both tiny, like to suck on blood, and love to leave itchy skin marks behind, it’s hard to figure out what you are dealing with, however, hard doesn’t mean impossible. Without further ado, here are the main differences between bed bugs and rat mites:
- Visual differences: Bed bugs can range from 5 to 7 mm in size, while rat mites are 0.75 to 1.44 mm, which makes the first fairly larger and easier to spot. Bed bugs are also a brownish-red colour, while rat mites are lighter.
- Habitat differences: Rat mites can be found living on the backs of rodents and birds, and inside the animals’ nests, while bed bugs can live in practically anything – mattresses, furniture, cracks in the wall, etc.
- Behaviour differences: Bed bugs are notorious for their hitchhiking abilities, meaning that you can carry the infestation inside your property after a hotel visit. Mites, on the other hand, don’t have such a talent.
How to get rid of rat mites
If you are looking for a DIY solution for your rat mite problem, the news isn’t great – there isn’t one.
Your best option is to call a professional pest control company and have them inspect your property and treat it for the rodent infestation. And we suggest doing this as soon as you spot the first signs, because not only can a rat mite infestation cause you serious health issues, but it can also be an indicator of something a lot larger and far more dangerous happening inside your home – a rodent infestation.
Rat mite prevention tips
As with all types of infestation, the key to keeping your home safe is practising prevention. With that in mind, here is what you can do to keep rat mites at bay:
- Mow your lawn and take care of weeds regularly to prevent bringing the bugs inside;
- Keep piles of leaves away from your property;
- Make sure to give your pets regular baths;
- Clean your home on a regular basis;
- Wash your bed sheets and linens on a hot temperature setting every two weeks;
- Try keeping the humidity in the rooms you sleep in under 50%.
Have a rat mite infestation? Book Fantastic Services!
If you’ve figured out that you have a rat mite infestation and you are running around in circles, panicking, stop and call Fantastic Services! We offer professional pest control solutions that will cleanse your property of the nasty vermin in no time.
The methods that we use are proven to be highly effective and are performed by experienced, vetted, insured, and additionally trained exterminators. Oh, and let’s not forget to mention that they are also budget-friendly!
So, what are you waiting for? Send those nasty rat mites packing with the help of Fantastic Services’ rat mite extermination service in Australia – you won’t regret it.
Have a rat mite infestation?
Book with Fantastic Services Australia!
- Rat mites resemble bed bugs, but there are big differences between the two types of insects;
- Rat mites can be dangerous to your health, as their bites can lead to various skin problems;
- Biting mites are typically carried by rodents and birds;
- Rat mites can be exterminated with DIY pest control methods;
- Rats mites can be removed from your property with the help of a professional pest control technician.
Did you find our article helpful? Do you have any other rat mite-related information you would like to share? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below!
- Last update: June 29, 2022
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within Australia. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.