- The Fantastic Team
- 6min read
- Published: November 1, 2021
- Views: 33
How to Get Rid of Dust Mites
Dust mites. The very first thing that most of you associate the insect-like pest with are allergies and you are right to do so. Dust mites are a “famous” allergen that can trigger A LOT of health problems, such as hay fever, signs of asthma, and others. Needless to say, having the creatures in your property can be dangerous and just annoying.
If you are someone who:
- suspects that has dust mites in their property but aren’t 100% sure;
- wants to know how to kill dust mites;
- is just curious about the tiny vermin.
In this article, we’re going to talk about how to get rid of dust mites fast and cover other important topic-related information, such as how to find out if you have dust mites and helpful prevention tips.
Table of Contents:
Let’s start off with…
How do you know that you have dust mites?
Dust mites are very, very small – so small that they are invisible to the naked eye.
They can be normally seen only through a microscope, which will reveal small white-coloured insects crawling around.
Still, while you may not be able to see them, there are ways to find out for sure if they have invaded your home or not. Below we’ve listed the most common ones:
- You’ve developed allergy symptoms – Coughing, wheezing, trouble breathing, tight chest, runny and/or itchy nose, itchy and/or watery eyes, itchy skin, and skin rashes are all symptoms of an allergy triggered by dust mites.
- Home testing kits for dust mites – You can buy a home test kit that will show you if you have allergens, such as dust mites, lingering in your property. These kits are affordable and fairly easy to use.
- A professional inspection – Having a certified pest control specialist perform an inspection in your home is the best way to learn if you have dust mites.
Book a pest inspection with a local expert!
We will quickly reveal whether dust mites are hiding in your home and where.
How to permanently get rid of the dust mites
Now that we’ve covered how you know if you have dust mites, it’s time to move on to the more important part – how to remove dust mites from your property. We’ve gathered the best dust mite control methods out there, both DIY and commercial, and listed them for you here:
Sprinkle some diatomaceous earth
Diatomaceous earth is a natural fine powder made from silica rock. It is a very effective, easy to use, and natural dust mite treatment. All you have to do is sprinkle some of the powder on areas where you suspect that you have dust mites – such as your beds, pet beds, furniture, carpets, etc., leave it there for a couple of hours or overnight, and vacuum the area thoroughly. This natural dust mite killer is safe for both humans and pets, which makes it a popular choice amongst many homeowners struggling with the pest.
If you are wondering how to get rid of dust mites in carpet naturally or any other area in your home, borax is the way to go. You can sprinkle some of the powder on affected areas, such as carpets, sofas, and mattresses, leave it there for a couple of hours, and vacuum thoroughly. Another great way to use borax for killing dust mites is to wash your bedding and sheets with half of a cup of it. These measures will destroy dust mites for good.
Give baking soda a chance
Ah, baking soda – every homeowner’s best friend. Not only does baking soda clean nasty stains, helps you get rid of weird smells, and so on, but it can also destroy pests, such as dust mites. Using it is very simple. Just like with borax, sprinkle some baking soda on infested areas, mainly furniture pieces and carpets, leave it there overnight or for a few hours, and clean the powder with your vacuum. After this dust mite treatment, there won’t be an insect in your property.
Buy some tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is a natural dust mite killer that will also make your home smell amazing. You can add 5-6 drops of oil to your laundry load, along with your regular detergent to get rid of dust mites naturally. You can also make a spray to use around your home – just mix 1 cup of water with 2 tablespoons tea tree oil in a spray bottle, shake, and start using it! Spray any area that you suspect has been attacked by a dust mite army, such as your sofa, mattress, pillows, carpet, rugs curtains, etc.
Try steam cleaning
One of the best and most effective ways of getting rid of dust mites is steam cleaning. The high temperature kills dust mites, leaving your home allergen-free and clean. You can also invest in special chemicals made especially for dust mite eradication that you can add to the machine before you start cleaning.
And when it comes to using the steam cleaner, it’s best to focus on your carpets, curtains, mattresses and upholstered furniture piece in your property. Of course, if you don’t feel like steam cleaning your home yourself or don’t have the proper equipment for the job, you can always opt for a professional steam cleaning service.
Schedule an appointment online for a thorough steam cleaning.
We have the equipment and know-how to clean your carpets, sofa, curtains, etc.
Opt for low temperature exposure
Another interesting dust mite control method is freezing the little buggers. You see, like woodworms and many other types of pests, dust mites aren’t a big fan of the cold, so exposing them to low temperatures will kill them. But how does one actually freeze a dust mite infested item? Easy – in the fridge. Childrens’ and pets’ toys are the perfect candidates for this method. Just put the items inside a plastic bag, make sure to seal them, and place them in the fridge overnight – all of the nasty creatures will be dead by the morning.
Invest in commercial products
Last on our list (and with good reason) is the commercial method. You can always give acaricides – pesticides used to kill ticks and mites, a try and anti-allergenic products a go, but as with many over-the-counter pest extermination products, they may not be as effective as you might think. If you want to eradicate dust mites fast and for good, opt for a professional dust mite treatment. Most pest control companies use specialised and tested insecticides that will leave your property dust mite-free after a single visit.
Helpful dust mite prevention tips and tricks
Now that you’ve successfully saved your home from the nasty pests, you need to make sure that they don’t come back. Here are a few dust mite prevention tips and tricks that will save you the hassle of dealing with the insects again:
- If you have small rugs and carpets around your home that you can remove – remove them. The same applies to curtains. Both are areas that dust mites love to inhabit, so the fewer upholstery pieces you have in your property, the better;
- Deep clean your carpets, furniture, mattress, and all other types of upholstery items on a regular basis to control the dust mites. Every three months is the recommended regularity for most households, however, if you or someone in your home is struggling with allergies, asthma, or another similar condition, we suggest cleaning the pieces every month;
- Vacuum your property on a regular basis;
- Use a damp cloth to remove dust from furniture pieces – this will help prevent dust particles from flying everywhere;
- Buy washable toys for your pets and children;
- Invest in a good dehumidifier. The device will eliminate the excess moisture in your property, which will greatly reduce the number of pests;
- Make sure to change your bedding every week and to wash it at the right temperature – anything over 50°C will destroy dust mites;
- Use a mattress protector;
- Invest in HEPA vacuum filters – they will help you gather more dust particles when using the machine;
- If you start developing allergy symptoms out of nowhere, you are probably dealing with a dust mite infestation;
- Commercial products rarely work 100% and can be expensive. Before you resort to them, give DIY dust mite control methods a try;
- If you are struggling with allergies, asthma, or any other health problem, make sure to dust and vacuum your property more frequently;
- The best way to get rid of dust mites is by steam cleaning your home or by hiring a professional company to treat it.
Don't postpone and get a professional dust mite treatment today!
We will make sure that the dust mites are gone for good.
Did you find our article helpful? Make sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section and share any other dust mite control suggestions you might have!
- Last update: November 2, 2021
Fantastic Services is your one-stop shop for 25+ professional home cleaning and maintenance services, provided within Australia. Using high-grade equipment that is inaccessible to everyday households, the dedicated service specialists will gladly go the extra mile to turn your home or office into something truly special.